Life becomes so much simpler when you cook your ground beef in a slow cooker. There’s no more need for endless stirring to make the perfect pasta sauce, no more stand-by-the-stove meatballs! Hence, you need to invest in the best rated slow cooker to accomplish these recipes.
Slow Cook Bolognese
This is a slow cooker Bolognese style sauce, made with Italian sausage and ground beef, along with carrot, celery, tomatoes, and herbs and red wine.
1 pound lean ground beef 1/2 pound Italian sausage, remove from casing 1 cup chopped onion 1 small carrot, grated 1 stalk celery, chopped 3 large cloves garlic, crushed 1 can (28 oz) diced, peeled tomato 2 cans (6 oz.) tomato paste 1 teaspoon sugar 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1/2 cup dry red wine cooked pasta Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Brown ground beef and sausage in a large skillet, breaking up sausage while the meat cooks.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery after a few minutes; cook until onion is just tender.
- Drain well. Transfer ground meat mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients, except pasta and cheese.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours. This makes about 8 cups. Spoon over your favorite pasta. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serves 8.
Meat Loaf Surprise
2 pounds of lean hamburger 2 eggs 2 slices bread, in small cubes Milk Ketchup Salt and pepper 1 large onion, chopped 1 teaspoon mustard
- Beat eggs then add bread cubes.
- Add enough milk to moisten all.
- Add hamburger and other ingredients, mix well manually. Season to taste.
- Place in slow cooker and shape to fit.
- Pour ketchup on top (enough to cover completely).
- Crock on low all day 8 – 12 hours.
Cajun Style Meat Loaf
4 strips lean bacon 2 teaspoons brown sugar, optional 1 pound lean ground beef 1/2 pound ground pork 1 medium onion, finely chopped 1 red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped 2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs 1 large egg, slightly beaten 1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese 1 teaspoon Cajun seasonings 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/3 cup evaporated milk or whole milk 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- Line a baking pan with foil and lightly oil the foil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, pork, onion, bell pepper, breadcrumbs, egg, cheese, Cajun seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and milk. Put the mixture on the prepared foil-lined baking pan and shape into a loaf.
- Meanwhile, cut bacon strips in half crosswise and coat with the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. In a large skillet, cook the sugared bacon for about 2 minutes to render some of the excess fat. You can also cook the bacon strips on a paper plate in the microwave for 2 minutes, covered with a damp paper towel
- Spread barbecue sauce over the loaf and arrange the bacon strips over the top.
- Cook until bacon is done and meat loaf is firm, about an hour and a half.
- Like all crockpot recipes for ground beef meat loaf, let stand for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a platter or slicing.